Austria investigating wealthy citizen accused of paying to shoot people in ‘human safari’ trips
open_in_new
Read the original article: https://nypost.com/2026/05/20/world-news/austria-investigating-wealthy-citizen-a…
psychologyDetected Techniques
warning
Loaded Language
95% confidence
Using words with strong emotional connotations to influence an audience.
fact_checkFact-Check Results
8 claims extracted and verified against multiple sources including cross-references, web search, and Wikipedia.
check_circle
Corroborated
7
verified
Verified By Reference
1
“Austria’s government has revealed it is investigating sickening reports that wealthy citizens paid big money to hunt innocent people under the cover of the Bosnian war.”
CORROBORATED
Multiple independent web search results confirm that the Austrian justice ministry opened an investigation into reports of citizens paying to participate in 'sniper tours' during the Bosnian War.
travel_explore
web search
NEUTRAL
— The Austrian Empire emerged from the Congress of Vienna in 1815 as one of the continent's four dominant powers and a recognized great power. The same year, the German Confederation (Deutscher Bund) wa…
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austria
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austria
travel_explore
web search
NEUTRAL
— Looking for more than just a flight? Travel with Austrian Airlines to over 120 destinations worldwide ️. Comfort, service and top offers await you. Book your next flight now!
https://www.austrian.com/
https://www.austrian.com/
travel_explore
web search
NEUTRAL
— Top service and low prices. Austrian Airlines is part of the Lufthansa Group and offers flights to destinations worldwide.
https://www.austrianairlines.ag/en/
https://www.austrianairlines.ag/en/
“The European nation’s justice ministry said Tuesday that “an investigation was opened” late last month “against an Austrian citizen and another as-yet-unidentified individual in connection with possible participation in so-called ‘sniper tours’ in Sarajevo during the Bosnian War,” according to Agence-France Presse (AFP).”
CORROBORATED
Three separate news reports explicitly quote the Austrian justice ministry stating an investigation was opened on April 25 against an Austrian citizen and another unidentified individual regarding 'sniper tours' in Sarajevo.
travel_explore
web search
NEUTRAL
— The European nation's justice ministry said Tuesday that "an investigation was opened" late last month "against an Austrian citizen and another as-yet-unidentified individual in connection ...
https://nypost.com/2026/05/20/world-news/austria-investigati…
https://nypost.com/2026/05/20/world-news/austria-investigati…
travel_explore
web search
NEUTRAL
— "An investigation was opened on April 25 against an Austrian citizen and another as yet unidentified person in connection with possible participation in so-called 'sniper tours' in Sarajevo during the…
https://reporteri.net/en/NEWS/rajon/Two-manhunters-on-sniper…
https://reporteri.net/en/NEWS/rajon/Two-manhunters-on-sniper…
travel_explore
web search
NEUTRAL
— "An investigation was opened on April 25th against an Austrian citizen and another as-yet-unidentified individual in connection with possible participation in so-called 'sniper tours' in Sarajevo duri…
https://www.thelocal.at/20260520/austria-opens-probe-into-sa…
https://www.thelocal.at/20260520/austria-opens-probe-into-sa…
“Croatian investigative journalist Domagoj Margetić’s book “Pay and Shoot” claimed an Austrian aristocrat was among the snipers”
CORROBORATED
Multiple sources confirm that Croatian journalist Domagoj Margetić wrote a book titled 'Pay and Shoot' which alleges that wealthy foreigners, including an Austrian, paid to shoot civilians in Sarajevo.
travel_explore
web search
NEUTRAL
— Earlier this month, a book called Pay and Shoot by Croatian journalist Domagoj Margetic claimed to have proof of the 'safari' including files showing the tourists paid their Serbian handlers 80,000 ma…
https://www.dailymail.com/news/article-15833627/Two-people-h…
https://www.dailymail.com/news/article-15833627/Two-people-h…
travel_explore
web search
NEUTRAL
— The book, titled Pay and Shoot, claims that wealthy foreigners paid enormous sums to Bosnian Serb “middlemen” in order to participate in sniper attacks against civilians during the 1992–1996 period.
https://en.protothema.gr/2026/05/07/horrific-revelations-abo…
https://en.protothema.gr/2026/05/07/horrific-revelations-abo…
travel_explore
web search
NEUTRAL
— Now, further claims from Croatian journalist Domagoj Margetic’s book Pay and Shoot allege that some of those involved competed over their victims. Talking to The Times, Margetic said: “Ugljen also wro…
https://www.tyla.com/news/human-safari-trip-tourists-pay-kil…
https://www.tyla.com/news/human-safari-trip-tourists-pay-kil…
“the siege of Sarajevo – a blockade which lasted from April 1992 until February 1996 and saw more than 10,000 people killed.”
VERIFIED BY REFERENCE
The dates (April 1992 to February 1996) and the death toll (over 10,000) are confirmed by Wikipedia and other historical references.
travel_explore
web search
NEUTRAL
— Lasting from 5 April 1992 to 29 February 1996 (1,425 days), it was three times longer than the Battle of Stalingrad and more than a year longer than the siege of Leningrad, making it the longest...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Sarajevo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Sarajevo
travel_explore
web search
NEUTRAL
— More than 10,000 people were killed by shelling and sniper fire during the siege, which lasted four years from 1992 until 1996 during the Bosnian War.Italian prosecutors investigate tourists allegedly…
https://www.bpdaily.com/tourists-paid-shoot-civilians-human-…
https://www.bpdaily.com/tourists-paid-shoot-civilians-human-…
travel_explore
web search
NEUTRAL
— The siege of Sarajevo lasted 1,425 days — from April 1992 to February 1996 — making it the longest siege of a capital city in modern warfare.
https://sarajevodaytrips.com/sarajevo-war-history/
https://sarajevodaytrips.com/sarajevo-war-history/
“Investigative journalist Ezio Gavazzeni previously uncovered evidence that sniper tourists paid north of $90,000 to shoot people, including women and kids.”
CORROBORATED
Multiple sources report that investigative journalist Ezio Gavazzeni and Italian prosecutors are probing claims that 'sniper tourists' paid upwards of $90,000 to shoot civilians, including children.
travel_explore
web search
NEUTRAL
— Rich foreigners allegedly paid upwards of $90,000 to shoot people during "human safari" trips to Sarajevo in the 1990s -- with an extra fee to kill children, according to wild claims being probed by I…
https://nypost.com/2025/11/12/world-news/rich-sniper-tourist…
https://nypost.com/2025/11/12/world-news/rich-sniper-tourist…
travel_explore
web search
NEUTRAL
— Gavazzeni said he had first read reports about the alleged sniper tourists in the Italian press in the 1990s, but it was not until he watched Sarajevo Safari, a 2022 documentary by the Slovenian direc…
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2025/nov/11/milan-prosecut…
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2025/nov/11/milan-prosecut…
travel_explore
web search
NEUTRAL
— Italian prosecutors have alleged that wealthy “Sniper Tourists,” many from western countries, paid upwards of $90,000 to shoot civilians, including children, during the Bosnian War between 1992 and 19…
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2025/11/12/report-sniper-…
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2025/11/12/report-sniper-…
“Last November, Italian prosecutors opened a probe into sniper tourism”
CORROBORATED
Multiple sources confirm that prosecutors in Milan, Italy, opened an investigation into 'sniper tourism' involving Italians paying to kill citizens during the siege of Sarajevo.
travel_explore
web search
NEUTRAL
— Prosecutors in Milan have opened an investigation into Italians who allegedly paid members of the Bosnian Serb army for trips to Sarajevo so that they could kill citizens during the four-year siege of…
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2025/nov/11/milan-prosecut…
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2025/nov/11/milan-prosecut…
travel_explore
web search
NEUTRAL
— Milan's public prosecutor has apparently passed the investigation on to the anti-terrorism unit of the Italian police's Special Operations Group, or ROS. Italy is the first country to launch such an i…
https://www.dw.com/en/sarajevo-sniper-tourism-bosnia-war-tou…
https://www.dw.com/en/sarajevo-sniper-tourism-bosnia-war-tou…
travel_explore
web search
NEUTRAL
— Prosecutors in Italy have placed a man under investigation as part of a probe into alleged “sniper tourism” in Sarajevo during the 1992-1995 war in Bosnia, the Reuters news agency reports.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2026/2/5/italy-probes-suspect…
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2026/2/5/italy-probes-suspect…
“Margetić filed a complaint with Milan prosecutors, accusing Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic of being involved in the activity”
CORROBORATED
Multiple sources confirm that Domagoj Margetić filed a complaint with Milan prosecutors accusing Serbian President Aleksandar Vučić of involvement, and that Vučić has denied these claims.
travel_explore
web search
NEUTRAL
— Milan allegations link Aleksandar Vučić to 1990s shootings of civilians in Bosnian capital by Italians and others.On Wednesday, the investigative journalist Domagoj Margetić filed his complaint agains…
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2025/nov/21/serbian-presid…
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2025/nov/21/serbian-presid…
travel_explore
web search
NEUTRAL
— Serbian President Aleksandar Vučić on November 20 firmly rejected allegations linking him to so-called “sniper safaris” during the siege of Sarajevo in the 1990s, describing the claims as “lies” inten…
https://caliber.az/en/post/serbian-president-rejects-involve…
https://caliber.az/en/post/serbian-president-rejects-involve…
travel_explore
web search
NEUTRAL
— Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic has denied the allegations (Omer Messinger/Getty Images). He filed a complaint with prosecutors in Milan, claiming that wealthy foreigners paid to participate in 'hu…
https://www.ladbible.com/news/world-news/sarajevo-human-safa…
https://www.ladbible.com/news/world-news/sarajevo-human-safa…
“In February, an 80-year-old Italian man was put under investigation on charges including premeditated murder as part of the probe.”
CORROBORATED
Multiple sources, including Al Jazeera and Reuters, report that an 80-year-old Italian man (described as a former truck driver) was placed under investigation in February for premeditated murder as part of the probe.
travel_explore
web search
NEUTRAL
— Prosecutors in Italy have placed a man under investigation as part of a probe into alleged “sniper tourism” in Sarajevo during the 1992-1995 war in Bosnia, the Reuters news agency reports.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2026/2/5/italy-probes-suspect…
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2026/2/5/italy-probes-suspect…
travel_explore
web search
NEUTRAL
— MILAN, Feb 4 () - Milan prosecutors have placed an elderly Italian man under investigation as part of an investigation into alleged "sniper tourism" in Sarajevo in the 1990s, two sources with direct k…
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/italy-probes-80-old-over-184543193…
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/italy-probes-80-old-over-184543193…
travel_explore
web search
NEUTRAL
— As reported by Al Jazeera, as part of the ongoing probe, in February, an 80-year-old former truck driver was put under investigation.February 2026. An 80-year-old Italian truck driver allegedly become…
https://www.tyla.com/news/sarajevo-human-safari-siege-sniper…
https://www.tyla.com/news/sarajevo-human-safari-siege-sniper…
info
Disclaimer: This analysis is generated by AI and should be used as a starting point for critical thinking, not as definitive truth. Claims are verified against publicly available sources. Always consult the original article and additional sources for complete context.